2017 NATIONAL PARA-BADMINTON COACH
Ian Bridge holds a Level 1A Badminton Australia coaching accreditation and a Level 2 Badminton England coaching certificate. He is currently undertaking a BWF (Badminton World Federation) Level 1 coach education course as well as the AIS (Australian Institute of Sport) Performance Coach Program.
Ian works with Badminton Western Australia as a project officer for their inclusive badminton programs. He has introduced and co-ordinated programs in partnership with other sporting organisations, disability organisations and service providers. During his time, Ian has developed sound level of knowledge, experience and understanding of issues and challenges affecting para-badminton players, their support network and other stakeholders.
Amongst other things, he has been a police inspector in the UK, and at present working as an outdoor instructor with the WA Department of Sport and Recreation and also involved as a supervisor for a residential college. Ian’s interests lie in sport and the development of individuals, across all age ranges, to widen participation and enjoyment. His hobbies outside of badminton include cricket, swimming, cycling, canoeing and keeping healthy.
We look forward to Ian’s continued contribution to the national para-badminton community. The duties that Ian will assume include:
- Review and update BA Para-Badminton Plans in conjunction with the BA National Participation Manager and BA Para-Badminton Committee
- Provide reports to various stakeholders, including the BA Board, plus other funding and service providers as may be required under respective obligations and agreements
- Participate in development programs, meetings and forums concerned with para-badminton and high performance
- Maintain effective communication and respect toward BA staff, Member Associations, players, other coaches and key stakeholders
- Work with the BA Para-Badminton Committee and play a leadership role in the identification of new talent and development of high performance players for a national para-badminton squad
- Coordinate the provision of personal counselling of players with a wholistic approach to education, vocation and social development when necessary
- Liaise with coaches working within the Member Associations to encourage alignment with the BA Para-Badminton Plans
- Prepare and conduct effective training camps for a national para-badminton squad that builds and motivates individuals in a team environment.
- Establish clear expectations and communication protocols with players (and their coaches) as they relate to their participation in a national para-badminton squad.
- Coordinate and monitor the training program and performance of all members of a national para-badminton squad with support from the BA Para-Badminton Committee
- Travel as an official BA coach to selected international tournaments
- Attend the Australian Para-Badminton Championships as a BA representative